Monday, 5 September 2011

Technology: A Common Language for Everyone

So far on rounds I've probably come across more frustration with technology than modern 'out there' learning opportunities for the kids.

Having said that, if it works, it's great.

Schools specifically for ESL students (such as my placement school in the block - Blackburn English Language School) are, in my opinion, just perfect for teaching through technology.

Why? 
- the curriculum at this school is sooo flexible
- the students struggle with English however often have experience with the web and technology as part of their own cultures
- it's an opportunity for students to join together and learn, in a way, 'another language' - their lack of English won't hold them back - they now have a common language
- it can enable those people that might otherwise be thought of as disadvantaged

And these kids really need a bit of spark. So many feel so out of their depth and disheartened. They've come to Australia, many haven't wanted to, they sit in 7 hours of classes a day all taught in English - a language some don't know AT ALL.

It's exhausting, it's disheartening, it's tough.

There are a number of things that could help to pull the kids from their slump.

One of them? The ability to do something for themselves and understand this language of technology - a language slightly more neutral to them, compared to English.

In a few days I'll talk about what I saw used at my school.

Chao

Later:
So, the question is, did I see much technology being used? Well yes, but mostly in the traditional sense (it's funny how we're now saying 'traditional sense' in relation to technology!!)
For example they had smart boards in some rooms but I only saw them used as glorified whiteboards, and they used the computers and internet mainly for word processing, powerpoint and information searching.
Of course that paints a dull picture of the school, which wasn't the case - lessons were quite short, resources were not extensive, and sometimes it was more fitting to do without whiz bang additions. 
Nevertheless I did see great use of an interactive maths program during a maths class where the students had their own log in and create their own port folio.
This allowed the kids to gain immediate feedback, and it provided them with an exciting challenges that progressively grew more difficult.

I was only in the school for three weeks, so I'm sure there was more going on - the teachers came across as quite creative and inventive.

No comments:

Post a Comment